During the past year, in spite of the very dire economic turmoil our Country is going through, Pedtrauma managed to open a second Trauma Center in Greece and to continue helping several Children’s Hospitals by offering them much needed machinery and equipment, to the sum of 138,800€. This was largely accomplished through the unwavering support of our Friends and Sponsors.
The second Children’s Trauma Center was opened in the Hospital “P. & Aglaia Kyriakou” in Athens which is one of the two main Pediatric Hospitals in Greece. This Center was funded by the Niarchos Foundation and was inaugurated on the 15th November 2012.
Another major accomplishment was the puchasing of a Labaroscopic Tower for the Pediatric Hospital “Paidon Pentelis”. This machine, sponsored by OTE-COSMOTE, enables doctors for the first time to perform operations labaroscopically on children.
We also managed to buy special equipment for the Intensive Care Unit in the largest Hospital in Thessaloniki, the “Ippokrateio General Hospital”, plus smaller machines for other Pediatric Hospitals.
This year Pedtrauma funded a medical seminar for 32 Doctors and Surgeons, which took place from the 10th-12th February at the Pediatric Hospital “Aghia Sophia”.
In 2012 we visited 25 Nursery and Primary Schools and spoke to 3352 children and to 64 parents and teachers, on trauma prevention and continued to give out leaflets on “Safety at School”, “Safety at Home”, “Road Safety”, “Prevention of Burns”, etc.
In the course of the year we held several events:
– In November 2011 the Jewellery store “Armaos” made our New Years good luck charm, the sale of which helped our fund-raising efforts.
– On December 5th 2011 Pedtrauma organized a Christmas party at the “Dali” restaurant. It was a very successful evening both in terms of fun and in raising funds.
– On the 26th August 2012 a Bazaar was held at the “Apollonio” Resort in Porto Rafti. The event was wholly organized by some of the children who live in the Resort and the money raised was offered to our Charity.
The most pressing goal is to create a Trauma Center for injured children at the “Ippokrateio General Hospital” in Thessaloniki and to finance the purchase of more medical equipment greatly needed in some of the Pediatric Hospitals. A list of these immediate needs is posted on the home page of our website. Crete has also requested urgent help for their Intensive Care Unit in Irakleion.
Alpha Bank – Bonus Points
The second largest Bank in Greece, “Alpha Bank”, decided to include Pedtrauma in their list of charities to benefit from their Bonus Points credit card program. We would like to express our gratitude for their help.
Members – Friends – Sponsors
We would of course like to thank our Members and Friends who have helped us throughout the year with their donations and membership fees, and we would like to welcome 3 new Members to our Society.
Without our Sponsors and the donations made to us this year we would not have been able to achieve all of the above.
We would like to express our gratitude to all our Anonymous donors and to the following Foundations, Companies and Individuals:
- “Stavros Niarchos” Foundation
- OTE – COSMOTE
- Mr. D. Sofianopoulos – Norton Rose LLP, Law Firm
- Greek Petroleum SA
- Alpha Bank SA
- “Alpha – Beta” Vassilopoulos SA
- Mr. & Mrs. Nicholaos Iliaskos
- Mrs. Lida Vitouladitou, MEGA Disposables SA
- Association des Dames Grecques de Genève
- Mr. G. Gerardos, PLAISIO COMPUTERS
- Group “Helping Hand”
- Mrs. Irene Plati – Menoo all about taste
- Mrs. Evi Psathidou – La Chocolatiere
- Intelligent Media
- “Armaos” Shop
- Mr. Adamis, Dali Restaurant
- Mr. Maurice Capuano – MJC Capuano Insurance Brokers SA
- Mr. L. Georgopoulos – Lawyer
- Capital Link
- Mr. & Mrs. John Menoudakos
- Mrs. Christina Karella
- Mrs. Alice Chatzopoulou – Kelaidi
- Miss Eni Zarakoviti
- Miss Atalanta Vrecossis
- Mrs. Olga Komninou
- Mrs. Maira Tsitsiliani
- Mr. & Mrs. N. Tzortzoglou
The year 2013 will in all likelihood turn out to be the most difficult to date. As you know we are not assisted in our work with the Hospitals by the Greek State and therefore we continue to rely solely upon your assistance. If,apart from asking for your continued support, you know of other people or Companies who might be partial to the cause of helping to reduce the number and the severity of injured children in Greece we ask you to please let us know, or put them in touch with us.
We wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year.
Natasha Clive-Vrecossis Michalis Sarris, MD
President of the Board of Directors Vice-president of the Board of Directors