‘’Pediatric Trauma Care’’ continues its efforts to raise awareness on children’s accidents in Greece, reduce their number and severity and improve care once an accident has occurred. This year we managed to support 18 Hospitals. We also continued the programs: ‘‘Education on Trauma Prevention'' in kindergartens and elementary schools and ''Training of Medical and Nursing Staff in Pediatric Trauma Care''.
The total cost of our project for this year amounts to € 405.527.
From 2010 until today over 300.000 children have benefited from our Charity.
Annual Report 1st November 2015 – 31st October 2016
This year we managed to create 6 new Trauma Centers:
- In the ‘’Axillopouleio’’ General Hospital in Volos
- In the General Hospital of Lamia
- In the ‘’Karamandaneio’’ General Hospital in Patras
- In the University General Hospital of Larissa
- In the ‘’Vostanio’’ General Hospital in Mytilini
- In the Corfu General Hospital
Unfortunately, as you know, the Refugee crisis has spiralled out of control, and Greece is bearing the brunt of it all. Our goal as a Charity is to make sure that an injured child, who arrives at a Hospital in time, is given the best possible care and, to this end, we are trying to ensure that all the necessary equipment is available to the doctors. We managed to equip 5 Pediatric Clinics:
- In the Hospital of Kastellorizo
- In the General Hospital of Samos ‘’Aghios Panteleimon’’
- In the General Hospital of Leros
- In the General Hospital of Kilkis
- In the ‘’Skylitseio’’ General Hospital of Chios
We also helped the following Pediatric Hospitals with the purchase of much needed equipment:
- ''University Hospital Evrou'' in Alexandroupolis
- General Hospital of Syros
- Aretaieio Hospital
- ''Aghia Sophia'' Children's Hospital
- ''Paidon Pentelis'' Children's Hospital
- University Hospital of Irakleion – Crete ‘’PAGNI’’
- ‘’Ippocration’’ Thessaloniki’s General Hospital
More specifically :
‘‘Karamandaneio’’ General Hospital in Patras:
- A Trauma Center (Sponsor: ΟΤΕ Group) value € 70.000.
Corfu General Hospital:
- A Trauma Center (Sponsor: MarBella Corfu Hotel) value € 55.825,73.
University General Hospital of Larissa:
- Equipment for the Trauma Center (Sponsor: ΟΤΕ Group) value € 39.218,55.
- Equipment for the monitor (Sponsor: ‘’Friends of Pediatric Trauma Care’’) value € 658,67.
- Equipment for the oximeter (Sponsor: ‘’Friends of Pediatric Trauma Care’’) value € 1.070,10.
‘‘Axillopouleio’’ General Hospital in Volos:
- Equipment for the Trauma Center (Sponsor: Norton Rose Fulbright Greece) value € 28.150,62.
General Hospital of Lamia:
- Equipment for the Trauma Center (Sponsor: Family George Giouroukou) value € 14.297,73.
‘’Vostanio’’ General Hospital in Mytilini:
- Equipment for the Trauma Center value € 9.440,25.
Equipment of Pediatric Clinics:
General Hospital of Samos ‘’Aghios Panteleimon’’ :
- Equipment for the Pediatric Clinic (Sponsor: John S. Latsis Public Benefit Foundation) value € 25.011,02.
‘’Skylitseio’’ General Hospital of Chios:
- Equipment for the Pediatric Clinic (Sponsor: Grace Foundation & The A. G. Leventis Foundation) value € 14.293,08.
General Hospital of Leros :
- Equipment for the Pediatric Clinic (Sponsor: John S. Latsis Public Benefit Foundation & ‘’Friends of Pediatric Trauma Care’’) value € 10.896,38.
General Hospital of Kilkis:
- Equipment for the Pediatric Clinic (Sponsor: The A. G. Leventis Foundation) value € 9.957,48.
Hospital of Kastellorizo:
- Equipment for the Pediatric Clinic value € 8.962,52.
Equipment to the Pediatric Hospitals:
''University Hospital Evrou'' in Alexandroupolis:
- A digital Ultrasound System (Sponsor: Alpha Beta Vassilopoulos) value € 23.000.
- A bronchoscope (Sponsor: Hellenic Petroleum) value € 7.291,20.
‘’Ippocration’’ Thessaloniki’s General Hospital:
- A difficult Airway Management System (Sponsor: Alpha Beta Vassilopoulos) value € 24.725.
General Hospital of Syros:
- A portable Ultrasound System (Sponsor: The A. G. Leventis Foundation & N. Papapostolou Ltd) value € 15.006.
- A trolley for the portable ultrasound system, (Sponsor: The A. G. Leventis Foundation & N. Papapostolou Ltd) value € 922,50.
- A smart baby resuscitation training unit (Sponsor: The A. G. Leventis Foundation) value € 5.616.
''Aghia Sophia'' Children's Hospital:
- A monitor (Sponsor: Mega Disposables S.A.) value € 4.092.
- A monitor (Sponsor: InterMedica) value € 4.092.
- A monitor (Sponsor: ‘’Friends of Pediatric Trauma Care’’) value € 4.092.
''Paidon Pentelis'' Children's Hospital:
- A portable tympanometer value € 3.100.
University Hospital of Irakleion – Crete ‘’PAGNI’’:
- An electrocardiograph (Sponsor: The A. G. Leventis Foundation) value € 1.586,70.
- Accessories for ECG device (Sponsor: ‘’Friends of Pediatric Trauma Care’’) value € 822,87.
- Computer value € 599.
''Pedtrauma'' sponsored one A.P.L.S. ( Advanced Pediatric Life Support ) seminar, which was held in collaboration with A.P.L.S. HELLAS in Athens, and one A.P.L.S. seminar held in collaboration with A.P.L.S. Crete in Crete, which was attended in total by 63 doctors ( total value € 7.000 ).
We also sponsored another A.P.L.S. seminar for the Scientific Society of Hellenic Medical Students, which was attended by 50 students ( value € 500 ).
''Pedtrauma'' sponsored a P.L.S.(Pediatric Life Support) seminar, held at the University Hospital of Irakleion – Crete ‘’PAGNI’’, which was attended by 26 doctors ( value € 1.300 ).
''Pedtrauma'' continued the program ''Prevention of Children's Accidents'' and distributed brochures to the children, teachers and parents attending. To date we have spoken to 39.802 children and 3.040 teachers and parents.
"Alpha Bank" adopted the sponsorship of our Program on Pediatric Trauma Prevention for yet another year (value € 8.000). We held 36 presentations (from 1st November 2015 until 31st October 2016) which were attended by 2.176 children.
Our Brochures were distributed to Schools, Kindergartens and Parent Associations in the greater Attika area during the presentations. They were also distributed to many other schools and hospitals throughout Greece.
During the course of the year we printed a new brochure titled ‘’Safety at the Playground’’ (Sponsor: ‘’Friends of Pediatric Trauma Care’’) value € 3,000, and we also printed the brochure ‘’Careful when Selecting Toys’’ (Sponsor: ‘’Friends of Pediatric Trauma Care’’) value € 3,000.
OPERATING EXPENSES OF OUR CHARITY
The "Stavros Niarchos" Foundation supported us for yet another year by covering the salary of an employee of ‘’Pedtrauma’’ for two years. This donation is invaluable as it enables us to reduce our operating costs and ensure our sustainability.
This year two new members and three lifetime members were enrolled.
Furthermore, the group ‘’Friends of Pediatric Trauma Care’’, continues to support our endeavours. Due to the economic conditions prevailing in our country, it is becoming more and more difficult for us to cover our operating costs and to purchase low-value equipment for Hospitals (the high value equipment is sponsored by Companies and Foundations). The support of our " Friends " is crucial both to our existence and to our ability to continue helping the injured child. If you know someone who would like to be informed and to help our work with the amount of € 1.000 per year please inform us.
On Sunday, 1st of November, a bazaar was held at Ktima Kokotou with great success! Young and old alike enjoyed the activities while shopping from the bazaar.
In November 2015 the Jewellery store ''VOURAKIS'' made our New Years good luck charm, the sale of which helped our fund-raising efforts.
The ‘’Hellenic Society for Emergency Medicine’’ awarded Mrs Natasha Clive-Vrecossis (President of the Board of Directors of the Charity ‘’Pediatric Trauma Care’’) for " her invaluable contribution to children with trauma ".The ceremony took place on Friday, 4th of December 2015, at the Hotel Royal Olympic, and was attended by the Minister of Health Mr Andreas Xanthos, the Secretary of State at the Ministry of the Interior for matters concerning Emergency Situations in Romania, Mr Raed Arafat, the President of the ‘’Hellenic Society for Emergency Medicine’’, Assistant Professor for Emergency Medicine at the University of Crete Mr Panagiotis Aggouridakis and the Vice President of H.S.E.M. and Director of the Ambulance Medical Services ‘’EKAV’’, Mr Dimitrios Pyrros.
From the 12th-18th of December 2015 we were invited to participate in the Christmas Bazaar held at the Athens Heart which was organized by Philanthropoli.
From the 17th-18th of December 2015 ‘’Pedtrauma’’ was invited to participate in the Christmas Bazaar held at Eurobank's Headquarters.
For yet another year ’’Pedtrauma’’ is taking part in the program, run by the APPCO GROUP HELLAS network, which offers our Charity 10% on the net profit from the sale of certain products.
’’Pedtrauma’’ is still taking part in the program run by PhilAction. When buying a product, if you send a photo of the item and a copy of the receipt to PhilAction, a small percentage of the cost will be given by the seller to one of the charities listed on PhilAction's site. By choosing "Pedtrauma" the money will be directed to us. (www.philaction.com).
For yet another year we organized an Easter Lottery. The Lottery Draw was held at our offices on the 21st of April 2016 and it was a great success.
The company ANAMET continues to support ‘’Pedtrauma’s’’ work through the program CAR4CARE. For every car brought to the company for recycling, ANAMET pays the amount of € 50 to a charity chosen by the owner of the car, from the list of organizations that ANAMET supports. If you, or somebody you know, is planning to turn in his car for recycling, please visit the website www.car4care.gr under the heading ''Child'' and select ''Pedtrauma''. By choosing our charity you will be helping us to equip the Greek Pediatric Hospitals with much needed medical equipment.
On Tuesday, April 19th 2016 the Trauma Center of the ‘’Karamandaneio’’ General Hospital in Patras was inaugurated. The Trauma Center was realized through the generous donation of the OTE Group. The ceremony was attended by Mrs Stavroula Aggelopoulou Assistant Director of Corporate Responsibility of the OTE Group, Mrs Katerina Gatopoulou, Governor of the ‘’Karamandaneio’’ General Hospital in Patras, Mr Dimitrios Pelekoudas, Deputy Mayor for Social Welfare and representative of the Mayor of Patras and by the President of the Charity ''Pedtrauma'’, Mrs Natasha Clive-Vrecossis.
We gave brochures on Trauma Prevention and toys to the Charity "Aegean Team’’ in order to be distributed on the islands which they visited. (Thymaina, Fournoi, Agathonisi, Symi, Halki, Nisyros, Astypalaia, Ios, Iraklia, Koufonisi).
On Friday, 27th of May, at 18:00 Pedtrauma was at the Avenue Mall to talk about Trauma Prevention, and to discuss what should be done once an accident has occured.
The restaurant CAPANNA supports our Charity by charging your account with € 1, with your consent. If you wish to visit the restaurant CAPANNA, thus helping our project, you can make a reservation at : 210-7241777.
On Friday, June 10th at 21:00 a fundraising event was organized by the Women's Organization Amaryllides in support of our Charity.
We participated in the 6th Annual Capital Link CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) in Greece Forum ‘’Rising to the Challenge’’ , which was held at the Athens HILTON HOTEL, on Monday, June 27th, 2016.
On Thursday, July 14th 2016 the Trauma Center of the Corfu General Hospital was inaugurated. The Trauma Center was realized through the generous donation of the MarBella Corfu Hotel. The ceremony was blessed by the Metropolitan Nektarios of Corfu. The ceremony was attended by Mr Vassilis Dracopoulos, CEO of the MarBella Corfu Hotel, Mr Spyros Derdemezis, Governor of the Corfu General Hospital, Mr Dimitrios Kostakiotis, Deputy Governor of the 6th YPE, Mrs Nikoleta Pandi, Vice – Regional Governor, Mr Kostas Nikolouzos, Mayor of Corfu, Mrs Immakolata Demaggio, Head of the Pediatric Clinic and by the President of the Charity ''Pedtrauma'’, Mrs Natasha Clive-Vrecossis. The ceremony was also attended by the ex – Prime Minister of Greece Mr Panagiotis Pikrammenos and his wife, Mrs Christina Dracopoulou, Mr & Mrs Konstantinou Mitropoulou, Mr & Mrs George David and Mr & Mrs Leonida Georgopoulos.
On Saturday 17th of September 2016, Pedtrauma took part in the 14th Volunteering Festival which was held in Athens. Τhe visitors had the opportunity to learn about our organisation and the various projects we are currently working on, and to receive our booklets on Trauma Prevention.
ΑΧΑ organized a Prevention Campaign with the support of our Charity. Every day, we all make some mistakes that we ourselves recognise as "acts of stupidity". These "stupid" things can turn out to be very costly in terms of money, health, even life itself - either our life or that of others'. AXA in Greece has gathered all these little big "stupid" things that we do in an imaginary e-shop to remind us how many of these "stupid" things we choose to "buy" each day, no matter the cost. Discover, one by one, all the stupid things that we do from time to time and try to leave them behind once and for all. Save your own life, the lives of those you love and those who are all around you.
From October 2016, APPCO is selling a product called "Fast Wax" in Greece and will offer our Charity € 0,50 for each item sold.
‘’Pedtrauma’’ was awarded the GOLD Award in the category "Health and Prevention" by the "Hellenic Responsible Business Awards 2016" which was organized by Boussias Communications and the magazine Marketing Week. The awards ceremony was held on Tuesday, October 18th 2016, at the hotel Grande Bretagne.
Such generous initiatives help us, both financially and morally, to continue our work.
The creation of Trauma Centers in the following Hospitals:
- General Hospital of Karpenisi (estimated cost € 33.600).
- General Hospital of Trikala (estimated cost € 32.400).
- General Hospital of Tripoli (estimated cost € 70.000).
To equip the Trauma Centers and the Pediatric Clinics of the following Hospitals:
- General Hospital of Pyrgos (estimated cost € 80.000).
- General Hospital of Larissa (estimated cost € 53.000).
- General Hospital of Chalkidiki (estimated cost € 45.000).
- General Hospital of Syros (estimated cost € 25.200).
- General Hospital of Kastoria (estimated cost € 14.000).
- Health Center of Karlovasiou in Samos (estimated cost € 10.500).
- To help the Pediatric Hospitals with the purchase of much needed equipment. The current requests from Pediatric Hospitals (‘General Hospital of Leros, ‘’Skylitseio’’ General Hospital of Chios, ''Paidon Pentelis'' Children's Hospital ,‘’Aghia Sophia'' Children's Hospital ) amounts to € 103.500.
- To finance Advanced Pediatric Life Support seminars for doctors, surgeons and ambulance paramedics. The current requests for this program amounts to € 16.000.
- To continue the program ''Prevention of Children's Accidents'' (estimated cost € 16.000).
Total budget for these goals: € 499.200.
For yet another year many television and radio programs showed great interest in our Charity and especially in trauma prevention. Through these programs we were able to inform a much larger audience on the subject of children's safety, and how to protect our children from accidents.
Over Christmas, Ash Monday, Easter, Summer and at the beginning of the school year, newspapers and magazines published our articles on Prevention of Children's Accidents. You can read these articles on our website www.pedtrauma.gr.
ALPHA BANK – BONUS POINTS
Alpha Bank continues to support our Organization by including us in their list of charities who benefit from their Bonus Points credit card program. (American Express, Visa, Mastercard).
SPONSORS AND FRIENDS
We would of course like to thank our Members, Friends and Sponsors who have helped us throughout the year with their donations. Without them we would not have been able to achieve all of the above.
We would also like to express our gratitude to all our Anonymous donors and to the following Foundations, Companies and Individuals:
- ΟΤΕ Group
- MarBella Corfu Hotel
- Alpha Beta Vassilopoulos
- The A. G. Leventis Foundation
- John S. Latsis Public Benefit Foundation
- Mr George-Ippokratis Klimis
- Mr Dimitris Sofianopoulos – Norton Rose Fulbright Geece
- "Stavros Niarchos" Foundation
- Family George Giouroukou
- APPCO GROUP HELLAS
- Grace Foundation
- Alpha Bank
- N. Papapostolou Ltd
- HELLENIC PETROLEUM S.A.
- Mrs Lida Vitouladitou - Mega Disposables S.A.
- OTEGLOBE A.E.
- Ktima G. Kokotou
- Mr & Mrs George Kokotou
- Mr & Mrs John Menoudakos
- Mr & Mrs Antonis Vourakis - Jewellery store ''VOURAKIS''
- AXA Insurance
- Women's Organization Amaryllides
- Restaurant Capanna
- Mr Anastasios Margaronis
- Mrs Maria Gkertsou
- Mr Odysseas Kyriakopoulos
- Miss Natalia Averof
- Mr Nikolaos Laimos
- Attica Bank
- Mr Maurice Capuano – CAPUANO INSURANCE BROKER S.A
- Mr Leonidas Georgopoulos – Law Office ‘’Kyriakidis – Georgopoulos’’
- Mr Lois Koulouris
- Mr Panagiotis Aggouridakis – ‘’Hellenic Society for Emergency Medicine’’
- Mrs Olga Bornozi
- Capital Link
- INTELLIGENT MEDIA ΕΠΕ
- Boussias Communications
- The magazine Marketing Week
- Κ Mr G. Gerardos, PLAISIO COMPUTERS S.A.
- "Amalia" Group of Hotels
- Mr George Varsos- VARSOS- KIFISIA S.A.
- Mr & Mrs George Plakogiannakis
- Β & C. Basilakis Ο.Ε.
- Mrs Marianna Petridi
- Mrs Eleni Lampridi
- Restaurant Gaspar
- Public Cafe
- Holmes Place
- Institute Renato
- OK ANYTIME MARKETS A.E.
- Maxima - Rovelli
- GEORGES COIFFURES
- Change More
- Mrs Katerina Gkrintza
- Mrs Evi Psathidou – La Chocolatiere
- Mr Argiris Diamantis - ANEZOULAKIS BROS FIERATEX S.A.
- FEVRONIA LUXURY CONCEPTS
- Mr Vasilis Nikolakis – Ballonoorama
- Star Channel
- Antenna Chanel
- Mega Channel
- Global TV
- Radio Athens 984
- Radio Alpha 989
- Radio ΕRΑ 91,6
- Radio Piraeus Church 91,2
- Radio Skai 100,3
- Newspaper ‘’Estia’’
- Newspaper ‘’Dimokratia’’
- Newspaper ‘’Espresso’’
Our goal today is to equip and upgrade ALL the Pediatric Hospitals in Greece and the Health Centers on our islands. This is an enormous undertaking and in order to achieve it we need everyone's help.
Your unwavering support is vital for us to continue our work.
We wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year !
Natasha Clive – Vrecossis Michalis Sarris
President of the Board of Directors Vice-president of the Board of Directors